Wednesday, February 25, 2009

zesty potato cheese soup

This is one of the few recipes that I have actually made twice (when you have so many cookbooks and so little time... you don't very often get around to remaking a recipe)! It's been about a year and I remember that the soup was a big hit so I couldn't wait to try it again.

This is SUCH a simple recipe. It's just a few cans and a little sprinkle of cheese. Actually the little princess did half the work for me (she loves to pour opened cans into the pot and then stir everything around). I also love that the level of heat is adjustable bowl by bowl. My husband LOVES his food hot, I prefer just a little zip. And for the little princess - no zip at all. Since you sprinkle the cheese on each bowl, every person's meal is customizable for their tastes!

I am admittedly not a fan of creamy textures - in soups, pasta sauces, or just in general. However, with a bite of crescent roll for every spoon (yes, that means I ate four crescent rolls with my one little bowl of soup!) I am able to fully enjoy this meal! And my cream-loving husband slurped up all the extras!

The recipe didn't say to cook the fully cooked bacon... but when I took it out of the package it was a little limp for my tastes. So I microwaved it for about 20 seconds (according to the package direction) then snipped it into strips over each bowl. Bacon and cheese - what more could a girl ask for?



Zesty Potato Soup

3 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
2 cans (12 oz each) evaporated milk
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (we didn't measure, just scooped what we wanted into our bowls)
3/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (ditto)
6 slices ready-to-serve fully cooked bacon, crumbled

In a large saucepan, combine the potato soup and milk. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with cheeses and bacon.

Yield: 6 servings

Source: Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment