Wednesday, February 4, 2009

cola chicken

This recipe was a disappointment - but I can't really blame it on the recipe.

This star-crossed recipe just wasn't meant to be for me. First, I had to run an errand after work that kept us out past dinner time. As usual, we stopped at a burger joint and filled up on junk (yummy junk; the first I've had since starting my new healthy eating kick late last month... but junk nonetheless).

I was determined to make my Cola Chicken though. So, when we got home I pulled out my camera and the ingredients:



I took a shot of each step as I added the ingredients (after all, this was going to be a masterpiece - I had to document it for posterity and to share with all the world!)... After I put the liquid on to boil my toddler had a meltdown, and by the time I made it back to the kitchen the pan was smoking. Fail one.

I pulled the smoking pan off the burner while I opened the package of chicken - still mid-meltdown. In a horrible mommy moment I shooed my daughter out of the kitchen with what I am sure was a salmonella-ridden hand (probably not, but I am paranoid about chicken - I wash and Germ-X my hands every step of the way). Fail two.

Somewhere along the way I realized that I made an eerily similar recipe during my last stint on Weight Watchers (though I think the last round called for Root Beer rather than Cola). I hated it. When you mix soda with ketchup the result is a strange, tangy-sweet concoction similar to barbecue sauce or sweet and sour sauce. Did I mention I am not a huge fan of barbecue sauce? And that I hate sweet and sour sauce? Epic fail.

But I forged on so that I would have something to show you - and so that my husband would have dinner when he returns from work tonight; after all, I've already eaten, so I guess it doesn't matter if I don't like the chicken (until lunch tomorrow, that is)!

For those of you who enjoy strangely-sweet-and-sour-barbecue-sauce-concoctions, I will include the recipe below. Be sure to share any thoughts or suggestions that you might have to improve. I deviated a bit from the recipe instructions, so I'll note the changes too. Please also note that this experience hasn't soured my overall impression of the Dinner on a Dime cookbook - in fact, I am still smitten (just really glad that I tried the Stovetop Beef 'n' Shells recipe first - much love for that one)!



Cola Chicken

1 can (12 oz) diet cola
1/2 c ketchup
2-4 tbsp minced onion (I used chopped dried onion)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
8 chicken pieces, skin removed (I used a package of boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders)

In a large skillet, combine first five ingredients. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Add chicken; stir to coat. Redce heat to meduim; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.

Yield: 4 servings

Source: Taste of Home Dinner on a Dime

No comments:

Post a Comment